Friday, June 24, 2011

Eat Cupcakes for Small Business!

I love Cupcake Royale. I don't even know how to start.  Well, let's start with what most of us will love about them: their cupcakes are excellent, and their frosting techniques are superb.  Some will argue, that they are not the best game in town.  I can't speak to the truth of that argument. I don't care. I won't even think of visiting one of the three other cupcake boutiques I can think of just in my neighborhood.  Because Royale is unique and special in ways that out play what I could only envision as a marginally better cupcake, as Royale's are so near my idea of perfection.
I frequent this shop 1-2 times a week, and I will continue to do so in order to establish myself as a die hard fan.  They have a commitment to local, sustainable ingredients. Their chocolate, of course not grown in Washington, but sourced from the social justice-focused Seattle company Theo Chocolates, makes for rich and eco-guiltless treats.  They source their fruit, grain, eggs, butter and cream locally direct from farmers. That really only leaves the sugar, which is organic.  It's about as good as it gets without giving up dessert altogether, and no one really wants that.  Last winter I walked in and was offered a chocolate cupcake with strawberry frosting, but immediately assured that they were using house-preserved local berries rather than imported berries. Umm, yes please!
They are also a great company.  With 4 locations, it is growing but slowly, and they still manage to donate over 25,000 cupcakes a year to charitable fundraisers.  Currently their shops are offering "The Gay" cupcake, which benefits the It Gets Better Project. With a heart like that, how could you say no to cupcakes?
I think the cherry on top for Royale is their attitude.  Their merchandise is fun, sassy and amusing. The sort of kitchy rock theme they tend to have somehow works for baking, which has become rather badass thanks to certain Food Network celebrities. Sort of funny to like Food Network with badass, but it can happen. So, I encourage you all to get over your calorie guilt and embrace your local treats. The extra pleasure comes from knowing only you and your neighbors get to eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment