Saturday, June 11, 2011

Who is The Conscious Consumer?

When I was little, I wanted to be an actress more than anything. I loved the idea of becoming a character and existing in a world where everything was fantastic, creative and moving.  As I got older, I became interested in literature and writing, then language.  I always thought I had to find some career in the arts, so that I could surround myself with artists.  I also became more and more idealistic, imagining an environment where people respected and took care of each other.
I had a cynical side, however, and after experiencing some hardship; as well learning my tendency to become a mess in the face of rejection,and my youthful desperation to get out of town, I decided I would get practical and ended up joining the military. Other direction, much? I would say so.  Needless to say, it did not work out, but my creative urges by that time had centered to cooking.  Food is instant gratification as far as creation is concerned, and it was something I came to take great solace in.  I went to culinary school, become a line cook, and became easily discouraged by the absolute lack of creativity in the daily operation of a restaurant.
I continued to be passionate about food, though, and became more interested in being a locavore, supporting our brave restaurateurs and local farmers. I became more aware of oil consumption in the agriculture industry, where our food waste goes, and the frightening rise in empty calorie consumption in America. I slowly started thinking about the food I was purchasing, going to more local markets, and eating less meat.  My interests in fair and clean eating have expanded to all aspects of commerce, including wanting to learn more about working wages, social ventures, and safe and clean home products. 
A couple of years later, I found myself back in retail, going way back to my first job at my grandfather's pet and garden store.  Full circle, as we often find ourselves.  And as frustrating as retail is, it does give me one thing I have always wanted, the opportunity to connect with people. When I began buying for retail, I began to meet some amazing people who had braved the recession and broke out into business for themselves, fighting the hyper-efficient corporate machine that loves to screw the little guy, becoming the Davids in our Goliath economy. I fell in love with them, these tiny entrepreneurs.
When I began looking at ways to use my education benefits (oh THAT's why I joined the navy), I landed in business school, so that I could learn more about our economy and how to have a business of my own someday.  So here I am now, a rogue idealist in a sea of future suits, wondering why so few of us want to save the world rather than own it. 
This blog will reach out to those who want to support good business, learn more about companies that make difference for good, and incorporate practices that reduce our addiction to mass-consumption.




No comments:

Post a Comment